Painting Contractor vs Do It Yourself
- Are you thinking about hiring a professional painting contractor for your exterior painting this Summer? If so you may have been trying to figure out the costs and benefits of hiring a painting company versus painting it yourself. We have listed here a very accurate list of costs and time involved in hiring a painting contractor versus doing it yourself. If you have been on the fence, hopefully this can help you make your decision.
Cost of Color Box Painting LLC
- Lets say that your live in a typical 2000-3000 square foot home in Portland & surrounding areas. To hire us to paint the entire exterior of this home, which includes: power washing, scrapping, prepping, priming and painting the body, trim, doors, windows, soffits and fascia, and finally cleaning up, you would spend between $3000 – $5000 which also includes a paint and labor warranty. When Color Box Painting LLC has completed this project (typically in less than 1 week) you will have a beautifully painted home with a 3 year labor warranty and a lifetime paint warranty.
- If your home was built prior to 1978, there is a good possibility your home contains Lead Based Paint. If this is true, we will have to follow the EPA guidelines for Lead Based Paint containment, and safety procedures for your neighbors and our workers.
- Typically there will be an increase of 15% ~ 20% in cost if your home contains Lead Based Paint.
Cost of Doing It Yourself
If you were to paint this home yourself your costs would be as follows:
- 1-2 week paint sprayer rental: $400
- Purchase of a cheap paint sprayer: $400
- Purchase of a 32’ ladder: $200
- Rental of a 32’ ladder: $100
- Tape & Plastic for Prepping your Exterior: $50-$100
- Brushes & Rollers: $50-$75
- Primer: $125-$200
- Top Coat: $300-$800
- Small Power Washer Purchase: $300
- Large Power Washer Rental: $300 per week.
- Extra rental time, Gas, Extra brushes, and other materials: $100-$200
Estimated Cost of Painting Your Home Yourself: $1,500 – $2,300
Explanation of time involved in painting the exterior of your home
- Power Washing Your Home: 8-14 hours
Plan on a large portion of a day to accomplish all power washing. Between 8-14 hours.
- Scrapping / Sanding Loose Paint from your Home: 20-40 hours
This may be optional depending on the condition of your home, but to be safe, plan on it.
You will need to purchase a nice scrapper and extra blades.
If power sanding add 10-30 hours of sanding depending on the condition of the home.
- Prepping Your Home: 16 Hours
You will be covering all windows, concrete, air conditioner, vegetation and any other area’s that you do not want to get paint on. This takes 2-4 hours per side of your home typically.
- Priming your Home: 30-50 hours
You can expect to use roughly 5-8 gallons of primer depending on the size of your home.
If you want to put in fewer hours you can rent or purchase a paint sprayer and bring your hours down to the 30 range but will add on a significant cost to your exterior painting project.
- Painting Your Home: 60 – 100 hours
You will need between 12-25 gallons of top coat to two coat the exterior of your home.
Cleaning your job site & Equipment: 4 hours
Estimated Time Involved in Painting Your Home Yourself: 140-225 Hours
When added up, that puts a value on your time of roughly $8-$10 an hour for an average home. For some people, that may be well worth it, for others, they may value their time more than this and that is when hiring a professional painting contractor makes a lot of sense.
An additional benefit of using Color Box Painting LLC is the added Workmanship Warranty.
As you can see, when you add up all of the time and money involved in painting the exterior of your home, it ends up making quite a bit of sense to hire a professional painting contractor.